9.09.2010

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins - Spoiler-free!!

Summary: This is the third book in the Hunger Games series. If you haven't read the first two... you should go read them. And if you have, Mockingjay picks up where Catching Fire left off, ok?

Review: So I didn't read this one until a week and a half after it came out... I didn't want to buy it (especially since I don't own the first two), and I was a million years back on the hold list at the library. Luckily I have some sisters-in-law who like the series, so I borrowed a copy from them and read it over the weekend. Hooray!

I ... don't know. It was ... pretty good? It was a good conclusion to the series; I feel like the characters were true to their previous actions and to the direction their development had lead them. My favorite relationship in the book was between Katniss and Haymitch... They really get each other, and I like that.

Events led themselves to a logical conclusion, I think. I'm pleased with where it ended up.

Something I didn't like: I don't really feel like it blew my mind like the others. There was always something horrifying or crazy about the other books, and once this series hit the larger scale I feel like that stopped. The plot, for the most part, was fairly predictable.

And one more thing - because I had to mention the love triangle at some point: I feel like this was an unusual love triangle, because of the complete lack of a preference on Katniss's part. (I'm referring here to the first two books.) And it's not that she felt the same amount of emotion/love for each boy... it's the lack thereof. I honestly don't think she needs either one of them, and that's part of what makes me like her. If it weren't for the fact that the boys are so in love with her (and thus her ending up with one of them is strongly foreshadowed), I would have been pulling for the "A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle" philosophy and wanted her to end up alone... because she wanted it that way.

Goodreads Shelves: addictive, is-this-a-kissing-book, pretentious, thought-provoking


Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails