11.14.2010

Reading My Own Darn Books

Hi guys. Can we talk for a minute? And by "talk," I of course mean that I'll type and you'll read. And if you're not ok with that, well, that's cool.

So anyway, I decided to take on a project. It's kind of epic. Here's the deal: I want to read my books.

I know, right? It seems pretty intuitive... yet most of you know that it's much easier said than done. You buy books, you check them out from the library, you win them, or you borrow them, and you end up with a huge stack of books that you own - paid money for, even! - that you've never even cracked open. What the heck?!

So my goal is to read, if not ALL of them (I have shopped many a book sale in my day), at least a lot. I think it's good to go ahead and read books I actually already have. Who knows, maybe I'll end up trimming my collection down a little. To that end, I'm enforcing a Ban on all books that I don't own, starting... well, about a week ago, actually.


As with all good Policies, there are a couple exceptions. In this case, they're very specific, and are as follows:
  • I already have The Maze Runner out from the library, so I'm gonna read that. Probably.
  • My father-in-law lent me two books about World War II, and I'm gonna read those.
  • Audio books are excepted, because I only have one (Harry Potter 5, if you're curious).
  • Ebooks don't count. I'll buy or download as I see fit, although I won't borrow any from the library.
Other than that,  the Policy, for the forseeable future, is that I'm not going to read or buy any book that I don't already own.

I'm actually pretty excited about this. I have a lot of books I haven't read, and I'm betting I'll find a new favorite or two. :)

I know that we all need solidarity sometimes, so if you want to join in, feel free! It's a good way to curb a book-buying habit, if you have one, or a library addiction, like I'm recovering from. Just link to your blog in the comments. Create your own rules (don't think you have to follow mine!), and go ahead and grab the button! Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog! I'm a book addict too and you have my support. Outside of textbooks, I'm going to try just reading the books on my bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails