4.05.2014

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Summary: Mara Dyer believes life can’t get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed.
There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.
She’s wrong.

Review: Okay! So... that happened.

So the first half was AWESOME. I LOVED all the crazy hallucinations she has from her PTSD. It was creepy and unsettling, and I really really liked it.

I wasn't really into Noah, though. Lots of "creepy stalker boy" type behavior, although that kind of gets explained later? Maybe? But Mara starts off all kick-a and totally not interested in him, and then all of a sudden... what, he has eyes? He has magical biceps?... and she just kind of loses all her willpower and self-respect and stuff. And was it necessary to indulge in the Rude Boy is Insanely Rich trope? Because that one gets old. Speaking of tropes, though, this book played with the Supernatural/Immortal Boy/Man Falls For Normal Teenage Girl trope in a way I rather liked.

And later in the book... I dunno. It picked up speed, that's for sure, and I liked how the narrative played with my mind -- I knew what was going on, but I could also recognize when something had turned out to be false.

Overall, I like the way the book plays with narratives, and although I'm not sure how I felt about the plot, I like how we got there.

Goodreads Shelves: addictive, bechdel-test, fluffy, is-or-would-be-a-good-movie, is-this-a-kissing-book

Rating

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails