3.19.2011

Fire by Kristin Cashore

Summary (via Goodreads): "Beautiful creatures called monsters live in the Dells. Monsters have the shape of normal animals: mountain lions, dragonflies, horses, fish. But the hair or scales or feathers of monsters are gorgeously colored-- fuchsia, turquoise, sparkly bronze, iridescent green-- and their minds have the power to control the minds of humans.

Seventeen-year-old Fire is the last remaining human-shaped monster in the Dells. Gorgeously monstrous in body and mind but with a human appreciation of right and wrong, she is hated and mistrusted by just about everyone, and this book is her story."


Review: So I keep putting off reading these things, then once I get around to it, I pretty much can't put it down.

Anyway, LOVED Fire. Almost more than Graceling... can I say that?? Fire, as a character, is more vulnerable and frightened of the people around her and how they react to her. She hides that under her aloofness and a tendency to be a hermit, whereas Katsa, who doesn't really have that option, hides her vulnerability under a very thick layer of anger.

Brigan is... amazing. The strong stoic type, but not brooding to the point of being boring. You know, an actual person; hooray! I loved their relationship, how it developed naturally from "this guy totally hates me and I'd like to avoid him" to "he can apparently stand me and I'm fascinated/obsessed with him" to "we're in LAHVE!" There was none of the completely ridiculous, "I saw him and even though he was a jerk to me, I was DRAWN to him!" So that was great. :)

Goodreads Shelves: addictive, fluffy, i-have-the-ebook, is-or-would-be-a-good-movie, is-this-a-kissing-book, my-kind-of-woman, thought-provoking

Rating:




*Note*: If you haven't entered my giveaway, there's still time! Due to low participation, I'm extending it for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails