3.15.2015

A Long Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan

Summary: It should have been a short suspended-animation sleep. But this time Rose wakes up to find her past is long gone-- and her future full of peril.

Rosalinda Fitzroy has been asleep for sixty-two years when she is woken by a kiss. Locked away in the chemically induced slumber of a stasis tube in a forgotten subbasement, sixteen-year-old Rose slept straight through the Dark Times that killed millions and utterly changed the world she knew. Now, her parents and her first love are long gone, and Rose-- hailed upon her awakening as the long-lost heir to an interplanetary empire-- is thrust alone into a future in which she is viewed as either a freak or a threat. Desperate to put the past behind her and adapt to her new world, Rose finds herself drawn to the boy who kissed her awake, hoping that he can help her to start fresh. But when a deadly danger jeopardizes her fragile new existence, Rose must face the ghosts of her past with open eyes-- or be left without any future at all.

Review: What a great read. Things I liked about this book:

-The romantic subplot. It turned out in a way that I really appreciated, and I liked how it addressed the "instalove" trope.

-Rose's parents. Not in the sense that they were great people (because they weren't), but in the sense that they're great people to hate. Like, thoroughly despise. The more you learn about them, the more you realize how much they suck as people. I... I'm not sure why I like that about this book. Oh, yeah, I remember. Because it made me seem like an AWESOME parent in comparison. "Am I a bad mom because I let my kid eat Nilla Wafers for breakfast?" "I don't know, did you lock your kid in cryo-stasis for months at a time because she talked back to you?" "No. No I did not." "Then you're good."

-I realize this might be a controversial thing to be a big fan of, but I kind of liked how low the stakes were in terms of the Mysterious Assassin plotline. I mean, Anna Sheehan tried her best, but I was just never really worried about a big plastic guy who (in my head) was just not that fast on his feet.

-Otto. His relationship with Rose ended up being really sweet, in my opinion. (In this book, anyway.)

-Rose's journey into finding out who she is without her parents around. I liked watching her become herself, as she adjusted to not having to be who her parents made her be.

Goodreads Shelves: addictive, bechdel-test, fluffy, is-or-would-be-a-good-movie, is-this-a-kissing-book, thought-provoking

Rating

1 comment:

  1. If 1-outta-1 physically croaks, girly, if we don't know the time, nor the place nor the attitude, don't you think NOW'd be an awwwsome place to stop and look up at our eternity which shall move on nevertheless? Eye believe so. Lookit...

    High, girl!
    Wouldn’tya love a forever Upstairs,
    an eternity of aplomBombs??
    An extraordinary DHTML @ warp-speed
    with no zooillogical-expiration-date?
    With an IQ much higher than K2?
    Here’s what the prolific GODy sed:

    “Faith, hope, and love,
    the greatest of these is love -
    jump into faith...
    and you'll see with love”
    Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe
    (what I write);
    God believes in you.
    God. Blessa. Youse -Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL
    Meet me Upstairs, girl, where the Son never goes down…

    Jussayin'

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails