3.04.2015

Fairest by Marissa Meyer

Summary: In this stunning bridge book between Cress and Winter in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles, Queen Levana’s story is finally told.

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who is the fairest of them all?

Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her “glamour” to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived a very different story – a story that has never been told . . . until now.

Marissa Meyer spins yet another unforgettable tale about love and war, deceit and death. This extraordinary book includes full-color art and an excerpt from Winter, the next book in the Lunar Chronicles series.

Review: So the whole time I was reading this one, I kept thinking about Levana's obsession with Evret and comparing it to the way Scarlett O'Hara is obsessed with Ashleigh. Am I alone here?

Also, is it bad that my favorite part of Fairest was the preview of Winter at the end?

That being said, I liked it more than I thought it would. I liked the insight into Levana's psyche. It explained her motivations and her "how she got this way" story without making trying to make me sympathetic for her. This story actually provided a good explanation for my issue from back in Cinder, about why she practices such crappy diplomacy, which was nice.

Although this isn't my favorite of the Lunar Chronicles by a long shot, I'm sure some of the things I learned from it will be relevant in Winter-- and that makes it worthwhile.

PS. I remember seeing an animated version of the cover at some point... Does anybody know where I might have seen it? Am I making this up?

Goodreads Shelves: bechdel-test, fluffy, nook-ya, pretentious

Rating

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails