4.21.2010

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

Goodreads Page

Summary (via Amazon): "In the summer between her freshman and sophomore years, Frankie Landau-Banks transforms from “a scrawny, awkward child” with frizzy hair to a curvy beauty, “all while sitting quietly in a suburban hammock, reading the short stories of Dorothy Parker and drinking lemonade.” On her return to Alabaster Prep, her elite boarding school, she attracts the attention of gorgeous Matthew, who draws her into his circle of popular seniors. Then Frankie learns that Matthew is a member of the Loyal Order of the Basset Hounds, an all-male Alabaster secret society to which Frankie’s dad had once belonged. Excluded from belonging to or even discussing the Bassets, Frankie engineers her own guerilla membership by assuming a false online identity."

Review: Oh, man! Frankie is amazing! Her style rocks my soul. (I want to call it panache, but I think the word I'm really going for is moxy. She's got it up the wazoo.) This story speaks to my soul; it's a character study of a porcelain doll who doesn't want to be a porcelain doll anymore. And then, at the end, when it seems like people are trying to make her be a porcelain doll again, she just smiles an evil little smile and goes about her business. Man, oh man!

I almost wish I'd read this book in high school, so I could have emulated her then. It would have made my college life WAY more interesting, for sure. But then, that's the point of the book, in my opinion. I still can be as awesome as Frankie. Watch out, world...

Goodreads Shelves: addictive, funny, is-this-a-kissing-book, thought-provoking, to-own

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails