6.01.2010

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Summary (via the publisher): "In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?"

Review: Ok, here's my thing. Telling bugs me. In writing, they tell you to show, don't tell. So when I come across someone telling me something, instead of showing it to me, I tend to have a problem with it.* Like in this book. Mary, why the heck are you so in love with Travis? Travis is the Paris in this story; his only apparent purpose is to be pretty** and be in love with you. And be a total pansy, which is another requirement, if you're going to be a Paris***. I see absolutely no reason for you to be in love with him, besides the fact that you told me you're in love with him. That's it. That's all. Mary, what are we going to do with you?

Other than that, it was actually a pretty good book.

Goodreads Shelves: fluffy, is-this-a-kissing-book, pretentious

Rating:


*This, as it so happens, is the reason why I'm on Team Jacob. On days I admit to having read that particular series, that is.
**I assume he's pretty; I'm not sure why, but I think it might be because he acts pretty.
*That would be Paris of Troy. You know the one who started the Trojan War? Yeah, him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails