4.05.2011

Carved in Bone by Jefferson Bass

Summary (via the authors' website): "There is a patch of ground in Tennessee dedicated to the science of death, where human remains lie exposed to be studied for their secrets. The real-life scientist who founded the "Body Farm" has broken cold cases and revolutionized forensics . . . and now he spins an astonishing tale inspired by his own experiences."

Review: OK. So this blog has been going on for about a year now (in fact my one-year mark is in about two weeks; cool!), and in that time my reading has pretty much only been YA. But that's not how I envisioned things going down, originally. So I'm rather excited to be reviewing my first For-Adults type book today.

I really liked Carved in Bone. I liked being in Dr. Brockton's head; he's a good guy, trying to do the right thing, but also a regular human who makes mistakes sometimes.

I thought the mystery was a little predictable, but still interesting. So that was good.

What I loved most about this book, though, was the kind of things I learned. I've always liked reading historical fiction because it's the best way for me to learn about history. As a school subject, it's my least favorite, but if I can read some accurate-type historical fiction, I can learn on the sly, as it were.

Carved in Bone was exactly the same. Reading it was fun because of how educational it is. One of the authors, Dr. William Bass, is an actual forensic anthropologist (just like Dr. Brennan!), so the details are all pretty much accurate. I feel all smart now!

In fact, in honor of this experience, I added a new shelf on Goodreads: I feel so smart now!

Goodreads Shelves: fluffy, i-feel-so-smart-now, i-have-the-ebook, pretentious

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails