8.21.2010

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

Summary: "From a strikingly original voice in fiction comes the story of Artemis Fowl, a very unusual hero. Artemis combines the astuteness of Sherlock Holmes with the sangfroid of James Bond and the attitude of Attila the Hun. But even Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of LEPrecon Unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories. These fairies are armed and they're dangerous. Artemis thinks he's got them just where he wants them, but then they stop playing by the rules..."

Review: So. Thoughts. I started this one on a strong recommendation from my sister, with the caveat that, "I didn't think they were amazing until halfway through the second one." (Which, admittedly, is kind of how I feel about Percy Jackson.)

I liked Holly better than I liked Artemis, so I'm glad I spent so much time hearing about her.

The whole thing felt rather like a "first episode of" something. I feel like the other books are going to be more of the Exciting Adventure type, and this is more of a Here's How These People All Know Each Other Type.

And that's all I really have to say about that. Oh wait, one more thing: I DO have The Arctic Incident on hold at the library, so, y'know. There's that.

Goodreads Shelves: fluffy, funny

Rating:

2 comments:

  1. 3 out of 5 isn't terrible. I'm glad you're willing to try the next one; they continue to delight. We're on book 7 right now and laughing at the wit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the review!

    Congratulations! I have chosen you for an award on my blog! Visit this post to accept the award!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails