8.07.2010

The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

Summary (via the author's website): "Percy Jackson isn’t expecting freshman orientation to be any fun, but when a mysterious mortal acquaintance appears, pursued by demon cheerleaders, things quickly go from bad to worse.

Time is running out for Percy. War between the gods and the Titans is drawing near. Even Camp Half-Blood isn’t safe, as Kronos’s army prepares to invade its once impenetrable borders. To stop them, Percy and his friends must set out on a quest through the Labyrinth — a sprawling underground world with surprises and danger at every turn.

Along the way Percy will confront powerful enemies, find out the truth about the lost god Pan, and face the Titan lord Kronos’s most terrible secret. The final war begins . . . with the Battle of the Labyrinth."

Review: So, it's never bothered me before, but it occurs to me now that Percy's not very bright, is he? Annabeth has to explain pretty much everything to him. I realize that this is kind of expositional, but it's also kind of annoying... Are most boys like that? Am I just more of an Annabeth than a Percy?

I can sympathize on the 'boy-girl stuff' front, though. Looking back, it seemed pretty clear what was going on for a while, as an outsider looking in, but near the end there things got... complicated.

I'm still liking this series a lot; I'm thinking I'm gonna go back and read it all in print, once I'm done, since so far I've listened to the whole thing on audio. It's got a good "read it again" quality.

Goodreads Shelves: addictive, fluffy, funny, is-this-a-kissing-book

Rating:

2 comments:

  1. Your rating system is so cute! I love the elephants!! Where did you find something so neat to use?? I think I need to incorporate fun reviews, or I'll just leave it to you!!

    Great review, gave me an insight on a book I've never read so I appreciate it!

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review. I've only just started reading this book (with my kids at bedtime, so it will be a few weeks before I'm done) and enjoying it. I've really enjoyed the series, but as it goes on, I've started to have the same thought you mention about Percy's intelligence....especially where it concerns mythology.

    I could grant him near ignorance in the first book. The second book he was kind of thrown into things again and so I didn't think much of his lacking knowledge.

    By by the third (and especially the fourth) book where he's now had a couple of years training at camp and (presumably) learning more about mythology, I expected him to not be nearly so ignorant.

    I can appreciate that Annabeth is a good foil for him since she is the child of the goddess of wisdom and as such if anyone should provide information it should be her. It's also helpful for the young kids reading the books who have little/no increased knowledge of mythology...it gives them a way to learn along with Percy (and perhaps relate to him more through their own ignorance?).

    But still, there are times when I would like to see him a little brighter.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails